Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sensibility vs. Irrationality

So you're probably all wondering "where has Lora gone. Has BYU actually killed her?"

Here's the answer, no, but not for lack of trying.

I am currently lying in my bed - blankets piled high, iPod playing, cup of hot chocolate within grasp - in a staring contest with a wall of text books aligned on the far side of my room.

I often find myself in this position: unblinking, staring into the vast wasteland of homework.

This is a time for self-pity. A time where I rethink the direction my life has taken. But more often than not, it is a time where my mind divides into two different beings: sensible Lora who wants all A’s and sees the need for showers; and irrational Lora, the snide, lazy Lora that will do anything for a nap and a cookie.

Sensible Lora: "It's going to be ok, there's probably only 4 hours of reading over there."

Irrational Lora: “I'd rather cut my hair into an unattractive bob"

Sensible Lora: "You chose to be an English major"

Irrational Lora: "Ya because I liked books like Les Miserables and Harry Potter, I have yet to encounter either. I've had plenty of Beowulf and Chaucer, but not a drop of Wilde."

Sensible Lora: "Think of all the authors and books you've found along the way; Emerson, Rossetti, Bronte."

Irrational Lora: "Wow, I think I've just pinpointed why we don’t get out much."

Sensible Lora: “At least read Shakespeare, you love Shakespeare.”

Irrational Lora: “Not if it’s forced! I wouldn’t love a cookie if someone was jamming it down my throat.”

Sensible Lora: “hmmm that’s debatable…"

As you can see the argument is ongoing with no resolution in sight. Sure there are small victories here and there: homework on occasion is finished in a timely matter, but all too often I can be found napping, having fun, or reading books that are not part of the curriculum.

Tonight's form of procrastination is this blog and you are all accomplices to the failing of my life.

Maybe I’ll get up the energy to read Wordsworth, or maybe I’ll go get some frozen yogurt, but most likely I will keep staring at those sadistic jeering books, willing them out of existence.

2 comments:

Raelynn said...

You crack me up!! First of all, I can't believe you're drinking hot chocolate already. And second, I have to side with irrational Lora... I'm all for cookies and naps! Good luck! :)

Race Davis said...

the real thing you have accomplished with this post is shake my testimony of my decision to be an english major.