Friday, September 17, 2010

Three Cheers for Minimum Wage Jobs!!!

I arrived early to BYU in hopes that I would find a quality job. My hopes even raised me into believing I could get a job at the coveted Harold B. Lee Library!

But alas this is me we are talking about and my life has a way of taking the more hilarious route.

Instead I found a job at the MTC. Do not let the glamour of the MTC name confuse you, I do not work WITH the missionaries, I work FOR the missionaries. My job title, in all its glory, is The Dish Room Worker. This job includes scraping food off dishes, turning over cups, and if I’m lucky, unloading the dishes of 2700 hungry missionaries. And in-between all of the loading and unloading I get to wade through the hot sticky air, permeated with the smell of a thousand flavors.

I’m a lucky girl, right?

Do you want to hear the worst part….the uniform includes a hat. I don’t know if you’ve seen curly hair under a hat, but it closely resembles a small woodland creature caught in a very aggressive trap. Once again I tend to make things sound worse than they are. The dish room is an okay profession, even honorable if you throw in the whole, “I’m serving the missionaries,” so I really shouldn’t complain...but I probably still will.

Now on to the next job. On weekends I get to work 6 hour shifts for the even staff at the BYU football games. This job includes directing people to their seats, enforcing crowd control, and telling guests not to stand by the railings and having them yell at me (this actually happened, this mean old man got irrationally mad at me and bawled me out, but I have to say he did come later and apologized). You may wonder if I get to actually watch a BYU football game, well the pamphlet says no, but I’m known for my rebellious streak so I do it anyways, I just have to be very very sneaky like ( Most of you know authority frightens me, but I’ve come up with a most brilliant plan to openly boast that I’m a rebellion in hopes that it one day might be true). I actually don’t mind this job, and even though I have to sport yet another atrocious hat, I do get into the games for free ;)

1 comment:

mrs. timberlake said...

LORRRRRRRRRRRRRA!
I had that MTC job... I may or may not have gotten it within days of a certain missionary (not anthony) entering those walls... but that's beside the point. I lasted one day. count em... o n e

i quit and moved on to a tanning salon receptionist. i lasted more than a year there. go figure.

your football game gig sounds a hellofalot more fun. :)