Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the college graduate

I’m officially done with college. I don’t know if I should celebrate or dramatically wander around the JFSB sobbing uncontrollably. I wonder if they would sic security on me. I almost want to try just to see.

Tuesday afternoon I had my first final. It was for my Poe and Hitchcock class and instead of a standard test we stood in front of our class while they questioned us about our final essays. I believed this would be better than a final. I was wrong. Instead of getting out at 3:00 like I estimated, we stumbled out at 5:00.

On Wednesday I had my Russian lit final at 7:00 in the morning. Just let that sink in. By the time I had successfully bundled up the sun still hadn’t come out. So I trudged my way to campus and realized something, I love walking to school without the sun glaring over the mountain. First of all, it’s dark. Second, no one’s out so I don’t feel rude ignoring people. And third, it’s dark.

When I hit the ramp I fell into step right behind the neon clad tyrant from my first semester. It was quite poetic as I followed the glow of his bright purple jeans all the way to the basement of the JFSB. Well, poetic and kinda creepy on my part.

Today was my last final and it was for my Senior Course. We had to do a 20 min presentation on the senior thesis we've been working on all semester. This paper is supposed to be the best thing we’ve ever written. No pressure or anything. I still haven’t turned my essay in. I don’t want to talk about it…

I've spent my life thinking about what this moment would mean for me. I've always heard that graduating is wonderful because you finally can do whatever you want. That’s a lie. I would rather spend my days with literary geniuses trying desperately to keep up with their lectures and my nights eating and laughing with my friends.

I didn't mean for this post to take such a negative turn. Let me start over.

I’m done! No more hours spent studying obscure references in hopes that I can find that one quote that proves my entire argument. No more restless nights worrying over thesis statements and concluding arguments. And no more editing classes, thank goodness.

Now I get to kick back and relax…

Well that moment was nice. Now I need to get a job. They hire English majors right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurray!! You are done! I am so very proud of you. Now move to London with me. I need my roommate back.