Monday, September 3, 2012

My Last Semester!

My first week of school was interesting to say the least. See this summer I had come up with 4 different life possibilities and there were several schedules, pros and cons lists, and even some intense charts that I could show you that went into my decision making process, but I won’t put you through that. Just know that I had no idea when I was graduating and what I was graduating in and that resulted in me spending my first week going to far too many classes whilst juggling my job and internship.

In order for you to get a real perspective of this week I’m going to lay it out, all nitty gritty style. I have no idea what that means, but here we go!

Monday:

Goal: Go to Russian Novel in English, Basic Editing Skills, Writing for Adolescence, Film and Lit, work and Senior Course.

Russian Novel in English – Why did no one mention sooner that there were lit classes that were chalk full with guys? Typical that I finally find it just as I’m entering my senior year, but seriously, this class needs to start advertising. Though the 8 Russian novel course load may deter some...

Writing for Adolescence – Skipped and got a biting email from teacher. Forever changed my perspective on children's lit writers.

Basic Editing – Sweated profusely throughout

Film and Lit – A two hour class where we study the relationship between Poe and Hitchcock. Who wouldn't want to be in this class. Note: get energy drinks, must not fall asleep during movies.

Senior Course – Focus on Ben Jonson and the economy of 1600 Briti…..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Work –  Minor argument with lady who won’t accept the fact that her introduction paragraph sucks. Note: don’t use suck in future tutoring sessions…kidding…sort of.

The first day of class is always hilarious to me because in every class they have you introduce yourselves and say something interesting about you. I’m sure many kids look forward to this. Those kids are probably the ones that said things like this “Hi, I used to be a figure skater” or “I lived in China for 10 years” or they probably just got back from an amazing summer interning at Newsweek or Penguin Publishing House. You even have the ones that say “I just got married” and all I think is “No, I will not clap for that.”

By the time they get to me all I want to say is that I used to be a Russian Gymnast that immigrated to the U.S to be a published author and in the process fell madly in love and married a wealthy Italian diplomat’s son. 

Also, I can moon walk.

That oughta do it.

Tuesday: 

Goal: Start internship, try out a new Senior Course, and go to work and Print Publishing

Internship –  Working with a curator in special collection organizing famous author’s materials. Day’s awesome level just went up 3 points.

Work – Answered emails

Print Publishing – Two hour class and the teacher made us stay 20 minutes after. Not pleased.

Senior Course – Emphasis on city life. I hope it’s better than ol Benny. They asked everyone if they lived in a city and if they wanted to. I said I lived in a town with no street lights and I liked it. They laughed. I wrote this post instead of paying attention and I drew a picture of the country side. Picture not included, I’m not an artist. Note: apologize to Ben and hope he lets me back in to his class.

Wednesday:

Goal-  Russian Novel in English, Writing for Adolescence, Basic Editing, Film and Lit, Tutoring, and I’m back in Ben’s version of the Senior course

Russian Novel in English –  It’s raining men…and depressing literature. I loved every second of it.

Basic Editing – um... no thank you.

Writing for Adolescence – Teacher called for our character descriptions of ourselves. Of course I didn’t do it. Quickly located my online journal and snagged an entry from two years ago and read it out loud. It wasn’t great, but I didn’t get a nasty email this time, so all in all a good day.

Film and Lit – Awesome

Senior Course – Learned how I was going to take over the world. Everyone should be frightened.

Tutoring Class – Skipped

Work – Same ol same ol

Writing for Adolescence – Went to a different version of writing for adolescence. The teacher is a famous published author which makes me believe the three hour class is worth it. Dropped other children’s lit class.

This was the day I went and saw my counselor. First, I should tell you that she terrifies me. Terrifies me! I asked her if it was possible to graduate in December. She said it was if I dropped editing, then she proceeded to drop my minor before I could stop her. I guess I’m no longer an editing minor?

BUT I’m graduating! And I finalized my semester. I do believe this is the first time in my life that I actually know what I’m doing. It’s amazing and terrifying all at the same time.

Now I just need to figure out my after graduation plans. Who wants to house a poor college graduate!? 

1 comment:

Kelsi said...

I thought this was your old post so I never read this! I'm so glad I found it. The part about your intro in class made me crack up. Have I ever told you that you are hilarious? For your humor I will house you. Please don't leave!