Friday, May 14, 2010

Packing Up

This is really weird, but moments of my life remind me of my favorite book quotes and today is not an exception. While I pack for my brief sojourn home, before the reality of BYU hits me, I think of something Daphne Du Maurier wrote.

“Packing up. The nagging worry of departure. Lost keys, unwritten labels. Tissue paper lying on the floor. I hate it all. Even now when I have done so much of it, when I live, as the saying goes, in my boxes…..I am aware of sadness of a sense of loss. Here, I say, we have lived, we have been happy. This has been ours, however brief the time. Though two nights only have been spent beneath a roof, yet we leave something of ourselves behind. Nothing material, not a hairpin on a dressing table, not an empty bottle of aspirin tablets, not a handkerchief beneath the pillow, but something indefinable, a moment of our lives, a thought, a mood.”

“This house sheltered us, we spoke, we loved within those walls. That was yesterday. Today we pass on, we see it no more, and we are different, changed in some infinitesimal way. We can never be quite the same again.”

For the past few weeks I have been at a loss for words to describe what I feel about leaving EAC and this quote typifies my very thoughts. I am packing up memories, laughs, friendships, moments that have changed my life and I can’t adequately describe how sad this makes me. EAC was one of the best decisions of my life and I am grateful for all of the amazing people I have met and the wonderful times we have had here. So thank you EAC you gave me two wildly marvelous years.

No comments: